Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Something for those who have the Knead for pastries....

Forgive me, imagined readers.
I made a good start.
When I have time I will write a longer post to explain what it is that I've been working on that's been keeping me so busy!

In the meantime, I just want to tell you about Knead! Some of you may already know of Knead, as it already has branches in Wembley Square and in Muizenberg, but it most recently opened in a nearby haunt of mine, the Dean Street Arcade.

Knead is kind of a boutique bakery - but it's better the the Limmos kind, because it doesn't bother with fancy namby-pamby icing and sugar sculptures. It's just an honest-to-goodness, delicious breads and flaky pastries heaven.

It does also offer some savoury foods, including pies, curry and a pretty effing delicious toasted sandwich, which comes with a side salad. This makes it an excellent lunch spot for people who work in the area. A word of warning, though, they charge a cheeky R5 extra for takeaways "to cover packaging costs". Next time I think I'll take a tuppaware along.

What I really want to tell you about is the pain au chocolat though. It's clearly made with some superior quality chocolate, because it is positively orgasmic. And it's only R12.50. Not cheap, by snack standards, but it is by pastry standards. And it's totally worth it.

Image courtesy of kthread.com

1 comment:

  1. "cheeky R5" - LOL. It is strange, because they usually charge you more at restaurants for sitting down, than they do for takeaways.
    Sounds absolutely dangerous for the waistline! Have been to the one in Muizenberg, which is amazing. I shall try my hand at this one soon.. In fact, let's do lunch there - and we can both avoid the cheeky R5.

    ReplyDelete